In the June issue of Jazz Journal:
- Julian Lage's quiet guitar revolution
- Tim Garland sits the Test
- Richard Palmer on Woody Herman ...
- John Robert Brown interviews John Levy, one-time bassist with George Shearing turned artist manager
- In columns: Steve Voce and Alan Luff
- In books: Graham Collier; Century Of Jazz exhibition; Allen Eager
- In memoriam: Vic Lewis and Matty Ross
- In letters: Ahmed Abdul-Malik, original world musician; absent Oscars; the absent-minded Sid Phillips
- In record reviews: the usual in-depth JJ survey of the latest CD releases
The May 2009 issue, still available, features Benny Golson (talking about his new recording New Time, New 'Tet and the right way to play Killer Joe); Scratching The Surface (in which Steve Voce reveals why he didn't become the English Artie Shaw); the Critics' Choice; Alan Luff's Anec-dotage; two pages of ever-stimulating readers' letters; book and DVD reviews; and over 60 in-depth record reviews.